children & young people banner

Children & Young People

If you are under 16 years old and someone touches you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable, or on a part of your body that is private, without your permission, or makes you touch them, or does anything sexual to you, or makes you do or watch anything sexual, that is not OK. No matter who they are or what they tell you, it is not your fault.

Even if you are 16 years old or more, no-one should ever pressure you into doing anything sexual that you don’t feel 100% happy about, or do anything to you without your consent.

‘Consent’ is when you agree to something and are completely free and able to agree. So if you’re under 16, or drunk, or have taken or been given drugs, or feel pressured, bullied or frightened, you can’t consent to sex or anything sexual. Even if you’ve given your consent to the same person in the past, or they’re your boyfriend or girlfriend, you always have the right to say ‘no’ and the other person should always check you’re comfortable with anything that’s happening. You can also change your mind about sex at any point and the person you’re with should always respect your wishes.

We know it can be very hard and scary to tell anyone what’s going on or has happened, but if someone is doing or has done something sexual to you without your consent it is wrong and you don’t deserve it. Whatever they might have told you will happen if you speak out, and whoever they are, you will not get in trouble. Even if you love the person who is doing this to you, and they say they love you, this shouldn’t be happening to you and they should stop.

We’re here for you

At BSARCS, we understand what you’re going through. We will believe you and listen. We won’t be shocked or judge you. Depending on your age, we might have to share what you tell us with the police or social services for your own safety, but we will talk to you about this so you know what’s going on.

If you want to talk to us about getting support from BSARCS, you can call us on 01226 320140. You might need the support of a trusted adult to be able to access some of our services.

If you’re a parent, carer or professional who wants to refer a child to one of our specialist services, please visit our How to Make a Referral page.

If you are a child, or if you know a child who’s in immediate or current danger, please call 999 right away.

If you would rather talk to someone confidentially prior to contacting BSARCS you can call Childline on 0800 11 11


Frequently Asked Qestions

We have put together some frequently asked questions by Children and Young People. Click below to view.

Hide site